Pet Travel and Health Certificates

Airlines require an acclimation certificate which allows them to ship dogs and cats when they cannot guarantee compliance with animal welfare guidelines. Typically, a veterinarian certifies that the animal being transported is acclimated to temperatures lower than 45 degrees F. Check with your airline to see if they meet the animal welfare guidelines and if an acclimation certificate is required.

Here are links to some common local airlines and some information on international travel:

International –

American Airlines –

United Airlines –

If you are taking a pet to another country (permanently or for a visit), contact that country’s consulate or embassy for information about any requirements that you must meet. Many countries require your pet to have an International Health Certificate (APHIS FORM 7001 – “United States Interstate & International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals”) to be completed by the APHIS accredited veterinarian who certifies animal health status, conducts tests, and records test results for the individual animals being exported.

A list of consulates can be found at Foreign Consular Offices in the United States

To obtain the USDA endorsement of an international health certificate or any other documents relating to traveling with your pet, the documents must be completed by an APHIS Accredited Veterinarian.

If you need any type of health certificate (domestic or international) please call our office to make an appointment.

Travel to the European Union (EU)
All dogs and cats importing into and transiting the EU will be subject to regulations. Besides an anti-rabies vaccinations certificate and International Health Certificate, all dogs and cats must have an implanted microchip or clearly readable tattoo. Pets not meeting these requirements will not be permitted entry.

As of 10/01/07 all animals going to any European Union Country again must be examined by USDA Port Veterinarian.
Also the rabies vaccine requirement for Poland is back to being given at least 30 days prior to departure and not greater than 12 months (cats 6 months).

Chicago (O’Hare)
2300 E Devon Avenue #220
Des Plaines IL 60018
Office: (847)298-5220
Fax: (847)298-5224
(Only by appointment)